REFLECTOR: Good Friday Landing

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Wed Apr 6 11:38:11 CDT 2005

Hi Bruce,
True, the header fuel tank is probably lower than the engine's mechanical fuel pump - but remember, the main tanks (assuming they have fuel) are providing head pressure.  The bottom of the strake fuel tanks is roughly the same elevation (water line) a most engine driven fuel pumps.
Dave's situation is a little different.  His installation does not have an engine driven fuel pump.  The system in his aircraft was such that an electric fuel pump, mounted above the spar, sucked fuel uphill about (say about 20") and then pushed fuel under pressure to the engine.  Also, this fuel system is a constant displacement pump that has a recirculation (fuel return) design.  This means the electric pump is sucking a lot of fuel - guessing 30 gph or more - up hill through a 3/8" diameter line.  Add mogas into the equation - and the situation is ripe for fuel cavitation.
My thoughts.
SB