REFLECTOR: Good Friday Landing

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 5 23:41:53 CDT 2005

On my Starduster with a homebuilt EFI, I had a similar event occur within the first few hours  of flying on a hot Summer day.  Same cause... pulling auto fuel uphill about 8 inches.  I subsequently relocated my pumps (main and back-up) BELOW the lowest part of the fuel tank and have had no more problems (four years now).  What's worse, I had warning signs that all was not right.  First was that I could see bubbles in the clear plastic fuel line at the input of the pump and I simply thought, "..now why are all those bubbles there?.. how could I have an air leak??" and went on to other things.  Second was the pump was howling (cavation I realized later) and I wondered why a new pump was so noisy and went on to other things.  Dumb?  Yes, but I was in new territory (for me) and had to learn by experience.  Further, at the beginning, I had no back-up fuel system which I now have.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity    N199RS
Starduster  N666SK