REFLECTOR: Good Friday Landing

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Apr 5 21:59:33 CDT 2005

To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Good Friday Landing

Dave;

  Great job of getting it down undamaged.  No matter what else, that's a
good thing.

Recall our discussions of a couple of weeks ago.  Don't expect pump to
"suck" fuel, especially mogas.  It is asking for a vapor lock issue.  I'd
say changing the supply line diameter will have little/no effect.  Vent
system is also not a likely cause.  If you can figure how; lower the pumps
to be gravity fed.

Just my .02 worth.

All the best,

Al

Our conclusion is fuel starvation caused the failure.  All my EGT readings
were above 1500 degrees vs 1100-1200 normally.  I have talked to many
experts including our own Scot Baker and this is our finding.   My fuel
pumps were located above the sump tank requiring the pumps to suck uphill.
My supply line to the pumps was 3/8 pipe and I am going to 1/2 inch.  I had
the old vent system with a 1/4 vent tube and no check valve.  Will
correcting these things prevent a future problem?  I will find out.

This is the first time in 45 years of flying that I landed at other than the
airport.  I plan to make it at least that long before the next time.  Dave
Bertram

 <http://www.incredimail.com/index.asp?id=54475>