REFLECTOR: Fuel Shutoffs

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Mon Sep 27 07:49:39 CDT 2004

Regarding a dual fuel shutoff, I understand there was some work/testing done
on this years ago that raises an issue that is worth thinking about.  It
seems Velo (or someone) did flow tests from a single tank (with a low level
of fuel in it) through the 3/8" fuel line and found the flow rate was
marginally greater than the expected fuel consumption of an IO-540 engine at
max power.  Given that some installations are non-standard and less than
optimal, there was thought that with low fuel, a turn the wrong direction on
take-off (away from the fuel outlet) could all contribute to less than
adequate fuel flow unless both tanks were feeding.  Since then, most have
gone to 1/2" fuel lines, which should resolve the flow capacity from each
tank--but not the exposed outlet from a flight turn.

So, 1) I don't know if there is anything to it!, 2) on the side of caution,
item #86 on the checklist would be to confirm both tanks are on line.  With
all that said, I wish I had dual isolation valves!

Chuck