REFLECTOR: Aileron Trim

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Sat Sep 18 23:22:52 CDT 2004

I just hooked up my aileron trim (cord and springs).  I have the
upgraded motor.  Could any of you guys tell me how you dealt with the
following problem?

There is no way to limit the motor travel (limit switch, etc).
Therefore when you trim, unless you know precisely when to stop ... the
aileron can reach its limit of travel but the motor will keep cranking.
That can stretch the spring around the motor shaft on one side or around
the pulley on the other side.

I realize one should be able to mentally take note of the stick position
and not "over trim" ... but this seems like a problem waiting to happen.
Have any of you experienced this?

I accidentally was pressing on the switch with my chest while working on
something (master switch on) and the thing kept winding up the spring
until it was completely mangled.

Have any of you put any kind of "limits" on the motor travel?