REFLECTOR: The Saga of the Gear Circuit and N992PC Gear up landing

Jorge Bujanda jbujanda at dslextreme.com
Thu Sep 16 20:13:48 CDT 2004

Hmmm... Interesting...

In reading about the RG issues, two of my many considerations in
deciding between an FG and an RG were:

1. There is no doubt that the RG looks better with the gear up…. but
only when looked at by others, and from the air. On the ground or close
to it, which is from where others, and especially I, are going to see
it; I prefer it with wheelpants and not “naked.” So that took care of
the looks for me.

2. With regard to the 10% speed pick up (in paper), from an already high
cruise speed, I did not feel the impact on the type of flying I intend
to make was going to be significant enough to warrant the additional
expense on training/certification, RG hardware, maintenance, insurance
and other risks as discussed on this very same thread. I will be flying
exclusively for fun and the 10% lower speed only means that I will spend
an additional 6 minutes flying, hopefully more, for every hour of
flight. As opposed to a penalty, I will find this very rewarding. That’s
why I am getting into this after all, to fly.

Do I think my analysis and decision are the correct ones? Absolutely
not! This just happens to be the right ones for me. I respect everyone’s
decision and difference of opinions; and that includes, alarms, no
alarms, gear up or down, etc.. This is what makes the statements
expressed in the REFLECTOR so valuable to everyone with access to it. We
all learn from the research, creativity, skills, knowledge and
resourcefulness of others and after considering different viewpoints,
one makes a decision. That’s the beauty of experimental aviation (and
the REFLECTOR.) Let’s not lose sight of this.

With regard to your incident Paul, we will all go through downs, due to
one thing or another. I am just happy that you are fine, that your
airplane is repairable, and that the Velocity has demonstrated once
again that it is a sturdy airplane our families can count on, for these
types of accidents. I know it is hard to let it go, but just to think
that I would be back home with my family tonight, in one piece, and that
I could still repair it myself, would put a smile on my face.

Regards,
Jorge Bujanda
XL FG N625TT
Palmdale, CA