REFLECTOR: TRIM SPRING & TRAVEL

Jack Sheehan j.f.sheehan at LARC.NASA.GOV
Mon Sep 13 15:56:34 CDT 2004

Tom,
There are many options for using the factory spring. You can move it
anywhere along the elevator torque tube from side to side. Mine is
located all the way over to the right side of the airplane. Just
mount the actuator and then drill holes for the bracket to mount to
the tube. I have seen the spring mounted upside down with the bottom
of the question mark pointing up.
I would stay with the factory spring and not try to create something
new. The spring is part of the flight control and makes a big
difference in pilot technique as you begin to fly. I had a cut down
spring with a carbon layer that separated making it really weak. It
was hard to fly on approach.
I put in a new factory spring and it is great now.

Jack
N55XL