REFLECTOR: SPARROW

Ronnie Brown romott at adelphia.net
Sun Sep 12 19:45:36 CDT 2004

I noticed an improvement in pitch trim stability as well ease of setting the trim after installing the sparrow strainer.  It isn't a stark difference but noticeable.

However, my friend Jim White said he couldn't tell any difference so took it back off.

Here's how I think it works:
As airspeed decreases, as in pitched up, the airflow decreases and the sparrow strainer pressure is decreased allowing the elevator to go up, and the plane pitches down.

And the opposite effect when airspeed increases when the plane is descending, the airflow increases, causing more sparrow strainer pressure, which forces the elevator down, pitching the plane up.

All of this helps stabilize the Velocity at a constant pitch trim position. Seems to work!  My sparrow strainer chord angle is pointed down (about 15-20 degrees) compared to the elevator.  I.e.. the nose of the strainer is pointed down when the elevator is level.

Ronnie