REFLECTOR: Nav-Lt Wiring

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 10 17:53:49 CDT 2004

Well this is interesting:

 I have the Whelen A600 lights and the A413A power supply purchased  from
Velocity. Also included is a huge roll of wire, with a 3-conductor plug on  each
end, and extra connectors.

Im working on the wiring and have a few questions not covered in the
instructions.

There are 3 wires in the spool (red, white, and black) that look like they
plug into the power supply.
I am assuming that you cut the wire somewhere in the middle, and use the
connectors supplied on the outboard end.

The question is, my wingtip lights have 7 wires each.  There is a red,
white, and black that are in a connector that looks like it mates with the one
supplied with the wire roll. Ok, fine, that should be the  strobe (plus,
negative, and triger) wires. Then there are the red  and black from the position
light, and the two blue wires to the aft  light.

 Here is a direct quote from the install manual:

"The RED wire supplies power to the forward position light. The BLUE wire
applies power to the tail position light. The BLACK wire is ground and one
Blue.  The RED and one BLUE wires are wired in parallel to the existing  wingtip
position wire."

How have you wired this system?

Do you share the ground that is in the Strobe harness with the position
lights, or would you run a separate ground?  Seems like separate would be a  good
idea since the position lights run about 3.5 amps a  side. Would you then wire
the strobe power pack AND the position light  posative leads off of the same
relay? ( my relays are 20/30's ).

The plan is to run the relay trip wire from the overhead panel to the
nav/strobe relay. Then run the strobe (cutoff) trigger switch from the  power pack
to the overhead switch panel and back.

Just double checking since it says incorrect hookup can toast the  Zillion
dollar power supply.

Thanks.

(I answered half my questions just writing this, but I'd appreciate the
backup:)

Kurt Winker