REFLECTOR: Gear warning horn

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Sep 9 09:28:18 CDT 2004

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Gear warning horn

Hi Al,

I would suggest using a microswitch on the throttle instead of relying on
the airspeed switch.  The airspeed switch is only measuring about 4 inches
of water pressure (approx 80 kts) which makes it pretty inaccurate for
indicating airspeed.

Thanks, Ronnie.  I was wondering about its accuracy.

  I also incorporated a gear horn silence relay that I can engage but it
automatically resets/rearms when either the throttle is advanced again or
the main gear is extended.  I can send that schematic if anyone wants it.

The horn reset is needed no matter what else.  I'd appreciate that
schematic.  Either e-mail or fax to 760,630-5665.  Thanks.

I mounted my main gear microswitch on the top of the over center linkage at
the center pivot so that it closes only when the over center is all the way
down..  I first mounted it on the secondary locking arm but that didn't
indicate correctly.

Do you know why it didn't indicate correctly?  I was planning on sensing the
locking arm down so it really would mean down "and locked".  It may be that
the locking arm gets into locked position at other points in the cycle.  I
was going to check that before final mounting of the switch.

Al