REFLECTOR: Gear warning horn

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Sep 8 17:45:05 CDT 2004

The normal approach for wiring the gear warning horn is a low throttle
position switch.  Having a liquid cooled engine, I think I may be less
reluctant than otherwise to pull the throttle all the way back for slowing
and descending when I have no intention of landing; and having the annoyance
of having to reset the gear horn.

I have an 'airspeed switch' to prevent gear up while on the ground; so I'm
thinking of using a double throw relay circuit that activates the warning
horn at the speed the air speed switch opens.  Then set that for a tad above
final approach speed; and horn sounds if gear is not down.

Is this re-invention of the wheel, or maybe not a good idea; or trading one
set of annoyances for another.

And while I'm at it; what's a good location for "Up and Locked" switch on
the nose gear?

Al