REFLECTOR: Epoxy and Hardener

Ronnie Brown romott at adelphia.net
Sun Sep 5 12:13:22 CDT 2004

Fred:

Here's an excerpt from a recent post by Andy Millen:

"Also, I had my EZ-84 hardener go bad.  The factory ships about 2 1/2
gallons with the kit.  It doesn't like light and it doesn't like to
breathe.  If you let it, the styrene will evaporate.  It will slowly go
from the green-yellow thin syrup to something that is as dark as
molasses and pours like it too.  When it does the epoxy cures brittle
and adheres poorly.  For that reason I only keep my resin in the warmer.
The hardener seems to last longer.

Just a thought or theory on the hardener.  The plastic bucket it came in
might have allowed the styrene to dissipate.  If I had it to do again I
might put it in an opaque container like a sealed paint can.  If it was
sealed tightly enough, I might even keep it in the refrigerator until I
needed it.  The epoxy and hardener aren't terribly expensive from the
factory.  What will kill you is the shipping.  I think it was $57 for
1/2 gallon of hardener to be delivered to my door.

End of Quote