REFLECTOR: Pressurized Tanks

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Oct 30 11:21:59 CDT 2004

Subject: REFLECTOR: Pressurized Tanks

Not sure I understand your setup, but I like the idea of pressurized tanks.
I have tank overflow lines that face forward and I could pressurize my tanks
by simply blocking the vent at the manifold (tanks and sump would still be
vented to each other).  Is there any concern of fatiguing the tanks with
repeated pressure cycling?

John

John;

I think we are talking about a max ram pressure of about 0.3 psi.  Not
enough to cause stress to be concerned about.

Al

Lynn Gallup wrote:

I had very uneven fuel flow, so uneven, in fact, that one tank or the other
would drain about 3/8 down before the other tank would even start to flow. I
traced this to the mini-naca "scoop" on the bottom of airplane acting like a
venturi and putting suction on the tanks through the vent line. I laid up a
tiny traditionally shaped airscoop, sticking up just 1/4 inch above the
fusilage surface, and glued it on over the naca scoop. With my now
"pressurized" tanks I have not had even the slightest indication of uneven
flow ever since.Lynn