REFLECTOR: Leaking fuel sump tank

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Oct 21 20:36:30 CDT 2004

My wife said she smelled fuel on our last flight when she got in the back
seat.  I figured it was fumes from just filling the tanks.

It was not.  I pulled the back seat out and there are fuel stains and it
was damp on the bottom edge of the sump tank.   Right where the seam is.

I have the standard 5 gallon sump tank for an RG.  Right behind the back
seat,  in front of the main gear.

I'm going to drain teh tanks and pull the sump tank out tomorrow.  That's
the only way of seeing exactly where it is leaking. Maybe put the out put
from a shop vac into it ti see if I can find where it will make bubbles.

What's the standard way of repairing it?

Scott

"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin