REFLECTOR: Questions on the doors

Joe jewen at comporium.net
Tue Oct 19 07:01:10 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Millin" <amillin at sbcglobal.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 8:02 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Questions on the doors

> Help,
>
> I would call the factory but they are closed and I'm going to work on the
> plane tonight.
>
> I'm working on my doors.  I have made the templates and cut the door
> openings.  So far so good.
>
> The manual calls for the opening to be enlarged to leave 1/8" gap.
>
> 1) Does this include the hinge area?
>
> After the opening is made the manual calls for the two triax around the
> inside to form the door flange.  OK.
>
> 2) In the hinge area does the triax extend into the hinge pocket area?
> There is a picture on Velocity Aircraft and the triax stops short of the
> recessed area for the hinges...  don't know here.
As Ronnie mentioned, I made this layup wider to strengthen the hinge area.  It extends 4" inboard of the hinges.  I made this Triax layup at the same time as the rest of the flange and also the hinge pockets.

> 3) Does anyone see a problem with installing the door hinges first?  Getting
> the door hung would make an excellent reference to make a sure fire 1/8"
> gap.  Then make the flange and door dressing.
On installing my doors, I did not have the luxury of any cut lines.  They were put on the fuslage in pencil and were long gone by the time I received the AC.  While this made my opening cuts more difficult, I did not have any wrong cut lines to follow.  I cut the opening just enough for the inner door stiffener to clear, grinding away small amounts until the door fit right.  Small adjustments to the hinge positions make a big difference to the overall alignment of the door.  Then I mounted the door hinges to the door and fuselage per the manual.  After the door was mounted by the hinges, I then cut away the outer skin for clearance to the outer door skin.  At this point I did not make it 1/8", I waited until the strakes were done to trim the final 1/8" clearance then added the 3 Fine layup.  I also did not trim the inner lip except to clear the door stiffiner until after the Triax and Fine layups were done on the door lip.  This worked well for my with a consistent gap and lip around the doors.