REFLECTOR: Questions on the doors

Ronnie Brown romott at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 18 20:10:04 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Millin" <amillin at sbcglobal.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 8:02 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Questions on the doors

| Help,
|
| I would call the factory but they are closed and I'm going to work on the
| plane tonight.
|
| I'm working on my doors.  I have made the templates and cut the door
| openings.  So far so good.
|
| The manual calls for the opening to be enlarged to leave 1/8" gap.
|
| 1) Does this include the hinge area?

Yes.  You will probably adjust the 1/8" in final finishing.  One bid of fine
goes from the outer skin to the flange - later.

| After the opening is made the manual calls for the two triax around the
| inside to form the door flange.  OK.
|
| 2) In the hinge area does the triax extend into the hinge pocket area?
| There is a picture on Velocity Aircraft and the triax stops short of the
| recessed area for the hinges...  don't know here.

On my 173 Elite RG which was a quick build fuselage, the hinges were in
already.  So my 2 layers of triax goes up under the hinge area.  In fact I
extended the triax to within about 6 inches of the center line of the top.
I found this to strengthen this area.  The doors were kinda floppy and I
could distort the top by twisting the door.  The Triax pretty much
eliminated that.

| 3) Does anyone see a problem with installing the door hinges first?
Getting
| the door hung would make an excellent reference to make a sure fire 1/8"
| gap.  Then make the flange and door dressing.
|
| 4) On the flange, top-hinge area.  The manual says: "You want to overlap
at
| least 5/8" onto the door cutout you reinstalled."  From pictures it looks
| like the glass extends about three inches onto the door in the hinge area.
| This is probably the same question as 2)  How much triax goes on the
| fuselage and how much becomes the flange on the top of the door.
|
| Any help is appreciated.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Andy

Hope this helps!