REFLECTOR: Nose gear nut

Wayne Lanza wlanza at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 16 18:10:42 CDT 2004

Regarding the nose gear tension assembly,
  At the factory we have a little experience with the nose gear tension
issue & do a lot of flying.
Some aircraft are really light and some are really heavy - both fixed
and RG's. The accepted
assembly of the nose pivot is to first clean all parts, grease the
sleeve bearing ONLY and dry
assemble the Belville washers. Grease on these parts will hold grit
which can actually let the
washers slip and will cause wear. The threads need to be cleaned just
before you put the nut
back on - this is important because you might get some grease on the
threads when the fork
is slipped back onto the nose gear. If desired, you can drill the nut
and install a set screw as
a measure of insurance that the nut doesn't move. This set screw
doesn't need to be so tight
that it galls deeply into the threads - just snug... Having the set
screw visible will also be used
as an indicator if the nut should slip. We also check the tension prior
to every flight.

Fly Safe,
Wayne Lanza
Composite Design
_

On Oct 15, 2004, at 10:29 AM, Scott Derrick wrote:

> Where's you get the thin castle?  I've never had a problem with the
> nyloc but I don't really trust it.
>
> At 06:48 AM 10/15/2004, you wrote:
>> I drilled my axle and used a castle nut -- is that a bad idea?

etc, etc, etc...