REFLECTOR: Flat wrench

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Oct 15 09:25:51 CDT 2004

At 04:34 AM 10/15/2004, you wrote:
>For many of our younger and physically fit owners, what you say is true.
>On the other hand, I've encounter more than a few Velocity models with a
>very heavy nose weight - and to lift the nose off the ground was hernia
>producing.  Many Velocity owners (because of age or disability) simply
>don't have the physical ability to lift 100 pounds (or more!), stand on
>one foot, and push the nose wheel around with their other
>foot.  Unfortunately, this important check - which really should be done
>during every preflight ... really, before every flight, is often ignored.

A good point about the weight, but I won't fly my plane without doing a
"truckers" tension check by lifting the nose and kicking the tire.  If I
was to feeble to do it by brute force, I'd figure out someway to accomplish
the inspection.

Though I have flown many a flight in C172's, 182's, B35's. Mooney's  and
never checked their anti-shimmy device during pre-flight, maybe I'm getting
paranoid in my old age?

Scott

"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin