REFLECTOR: Water Cooling

Ronnie Brown romott at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 12 15:22:43 CDT 2004

  For those who have used Naca scoops (air cooled), where does rain water run off?  In the engine compartment?  If so has anyone had problems associated with water in the engine compartment, especially in the cold weather?

        THE water runs down the duct, onto the engine and into the bottom of the cowl.  I opened up the holes where the crankcase vent goes out so that the water can drain out.  I have never parked out side in the freezing rain though.

  On a slightly different subject, is the small fresh air scoop adequate especially in hot summer climates?  I ask because I am trying to decide what if anything I should do with the already installed Naca in the nose for oil cooling. Due to the oil cooler size and other considerations I will not be putting the oil cooling in the nose.  Before I glass it over I was wondering if I should use it as another source of fresh air in the hot weather.

         THE fresh air NACA supplies a good bit of air.  I'd suggest converting the big oil cooler NACA to a smaller air NACA like the right side of the nose.

         JOE, I have a copy of Tim England's V-6 video tape which goes into a good bit of discussion about building a scoop for the belly radiator.  You're welcome to borrow it.

  Ronnie