REFLECTOR: Water Cooling

Joe jewen at comporium.net
Mon Oct 11 23:10:18 CDT 2004

I will shortly be working on installing a Renesis (4th generation Mazda 13b) engine in my 173.  I am looking for any suggestions on installing water and oil cooling on a 173.  Any and all experiences of what to do and what not to do are appreciated.

For those who have used Naca scoops (air cooled), where does rain water run off?  In the engine compartment?  If so has anyone had problems associated with water in the engine compartment, especially in the cold weather?

On a slightly different subject, is the small fresh air scoop adequate especially in hot summer climates?  I ask because I am trying to decide what if anything I should do with the already installed Naca in the nose for oil cooling. Due to the oil cooler size and other considerations I will not be putting the oil cooling in the nose.  Before I glass it over I was wondering if I should use it as another source of fresh air in the hot weather.

Thanks in advance for any advise,
Joe