REFLECTOR: Advance Turbine Power ne Innodyn

Wayne Lanza wlanza at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 11 09:12:05 CDT 2004

Hi Richard,
  The manuals are packed away at (what remains of) the hangar but i seem
to remember
the tempco's at some of the power settings were pretty high. Remember
that there is quite
a bit of mass airflow involved too. One number that I am certain of is
the compressor outlet
temperature on our Allison 250C18, the air exiting the compressor (6
stage axial flow,
6.5:1 ratio) is typically at 900 degrees F. I forget the exact pounds
of air per second that this
engine gulps but the power consumed by the compressor is about 850HP!!
You read that
right... and this engine is only rated at 315HP continuous SHP.
Needless to say, a lot of that
air is used to keep the engine in a solid state of matter... Again, the
numbers stated are
right out of the manuals, not fabricated in a garage.

Cool stuff -
Wayne