REFLECTOR: Help -- Franklin -- stuck in SLC

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sat Oct 9 21:58:56 CDT 2004

Well, you need three things:
air, fuel and spark.

Are you sure your air filter is not clogged?  If you have a manifold gauge,
does it show close to 29 inches while cranking?

Okay, fuel.  Clogged filter?  I don't remember; does the Marvel Schebler MA5
have an accellerator pump?  Is it possible to either hear, smell or see it
injecting the fuel?  If all else fails, squirt some fuel (is ether okay to
use??) into the intake manifold, and see if it wants to fire.  Might be
easier to squirt some fuel via spark plug hole.  Do you have priming
injectors?  Try priming while cranking.

Next is spark.  Quite unlikely both mags went out simultaneously.  Are the
mags dry?  It seems that P-leads usually fail open, but sure it's possible
that you are shorting the P-lead to ground.

Failing that, it's more of a guessing game.
Is it really cold in SLC?  Where did you come from?  If you were running
automotive gas, I'd say that the formulation might be for a warmer climate,
but that shouldn't be an issue with avgas.

 Brian Michalk  <http://www.michalk.com>
musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and barely single