REFLECTOR: Help -- Franklin -- stuck in SLC

wurzel parsons-keir wurzel at ccpu.com
Sat Oct 9 20:39:00 CDT 2004

Hi!  I'm in SLC with a Standard RG with 6-cyl Franklin.
I've flown the plane for about 20 hours now with no issues,
(other than my landings, but that's for another post!) but today
when we went to start up it just wouldn't.  The engine has 600
hours on it, and hasn't needed any major service recently.

First I tried starting with the normal procedure
(mixture rich, throttle full, fuel pump on until I see pressure,
fuel pump off, throttle just cracked, mags on, crank away).
The prop spins really well (good battery, good starter) and
I can hear the impulse mags clicking away, but I don't
hear anything that sounds like ignition.  After about
30 seconds of that, I gave it a rest for a while.

Next try, thinking maybe I flooded it, so I left mixture
cutoff, went full-throttle, and cranked a while.  Normally
I'd expect to hear the engine fire for a bit and then peter
out unless I push the mixture on... but again, no ignition
noises.

Still thinking maybe it was flooded, we went to lunch for
1.5 hours, came back and again tried the standard start procedure,
still no detectable engine firing, just spinning and clicking.

Anyone out there who is flying a Franklin have any advice?
Is there a "high altitude" start procedure (4300 feet, 21degC)?

If a Franklin is flooded, any advice for un-flooding?

It sounds kind of like trying to start it with both mags grounded
or something, but I can't imagine how both of my P-leads could
have been grounded accidentally at the same time.

I sumped the tank and verified it's good fuel, I inspected the
ignition harness and I don't see any chafing or anything.
I verified the throttle and mixture arms are attached and moving
fine.  Fuel pressure looks good with the electronic pump and
also with the engine pump while cranking.

The only things I can think of now are finding a voltmeter
somewhere and checking the P leads for grounding (does a simple
continuity test to ground work?) and/or pulling out filter
screens in the carb to see if they're clogged.  Is there any
other simple way to verify presence of spark?  Is there anything
I could have done running too rich or too lean that would
have fouled all my plugs this badly?  After we landed, the
engine seemed to be idling fine as we taxied in.

Any other thoughts or ideas on diagnosing this (especially
with minimal tools) would be greatly appreciated!  If I
can get out of Million-air's hangar before 8am Monday,
maybe they won't charge me; otherwise I'll probably have
to have one of their A&Ps help me in return for renting
the space, as it were.

				Many thanks!
					-wurzel
					flying Rick's N570!