REFLECTOR: Matco Brakes

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Thu Oct 7 10:57:19 CDT 2004

Jack,

It sounds like the "piston ring" seals in your master cylinders are leaking.
You can get a rebuild kit at an auto parts store to fix that.  Although
Scott correctly points out that brakes should be applied, then allowed to
cool, the timing of the application should be at the pilot's discretion, not
due to the pedal hitting the bulkhead!

I also have the 323A compound brakes, but I'm not flying yet.  It's good to
hear that they are providing satisfactory service!  I think the "heat
shield" (which may function more as a heat sink than a heat shield) is still
a good idea.  These brakes are designed to dump heat into the gear leg
through the axle.  That's great if you have steel or aluminum gear legs, but
not so great if your gear legs are fiberglass.

Keith Hallsten