REFLECTOR: Matco Brakes

Jack Sheehan j.f.sheehan at larc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 7 10:07:04 CDT 2004

The original matco 323 compound brakes were tested and flown by the
factory and also I think Dennis miller ( if I remember the right
name?). This original model had some design problems which caused the
overheating of the brakes. George took the factory brakes back and
redesigned the brake with a torque tube which now eliminates the
alignment problem which was causing the overheating I sent my
compound 323 brakes back and the were modified to the Rev A
configuration.before I flew. I have about 250 hours on them now and I
would guess that is probably about 100-150 landings. The compound
brakes work very well and I seem to have all the brake I want.  I
installed the brakes with a heat shield between the brake and the
gear leg since the overheating problem existed with the original
compound brakes. As it turns out that was not necessary. I think one
of the only problems in the brake system now is that I have to sort
of pump the brakes as opposed to one steady application of brake it
seems the pressure you can apply is effected by the poor performance
of the master cylinders. This makes it feel as if the brakes are
fading but the brakes are fine you seem to loose pressure and simply
letting up and reapplying gets great stopping power.
I understand the matco master cylinders in the new toe brakes are much better.
These comment apply only to the compound 323 model brake . If you do
want to use this brake I think you would be very happy but do have
the brake brought up to the rev A version.

Jack
N55XL