REFLECTOR: 65VT/ angle-of-attack system

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Tue Oct 5 11:46:51 CDT 2004

Max glide, climb and Vx, Vy are usually the bottom of a fairly wide
bucket, and the departures either side of the POH specs are pretty
gradual, so if you're in the ballpark, your results will be very close
to optimum.  I tend to go just a little faster than the specs on account
of the heavy front seat.  AoA indicators are not typically accurate
enough (fine enough granularity) to be all that useful for stuff like
that anyway.  At least that's what I recall from tactical jets in the
60s and 70s.  The big deal as I see it for GA AoA is to prevent approach
turn stalls, and that's not a problem with canards.

As I see it .... Jim S.