REFLECTOR: 65VT/ angle-of-attack system

Ronnie Brown romott at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 5 11:47:44 CDT 2004

As I understand it, the flap position is used in the Proprietary Systems AOA along with some other stuff to make the AOA more accurate under different conditions - and probably adds to the complexity of getting it to work properly.  See http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/liftreserve-pg2.htm for a discussion of the different indication when the flaps are out.

IMOH the AOA would be most useful in final approach to landing and just before touch down.  If you don't use the speed brake,  then everything pretty much is constant and the AOA should be more useful (and less complex).

Brian, will you be using differential pressure sensors for AOA?  It might be difficult to get enough accuracy if you just use pressure sensors.  Deserves some more thought(?).

And, my understanding is that stall occurs at the same angle of attack (assuming no flaps are involved) no matter what the aircraft weight - but CG would have some affect - not major though?