REFLECTOR: 65VT/ angle-of-attack system

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Oct 5 10:48:14 CDT 2004

Okay, Jim.

Your argument makes sense.  So does this mean for a standard (non-canard)
aircraft, that an AOA gauge will show different values for stall speeds
depending on flap extension?  Since the main wing is fixed relative to the
fuselage, and assuming no flaps, I would see where the AOA gauge would
perform.  When people install those gauges, is it only for a single flap
configuration?

Okay, now back to canards.  Since the airfoil that stalls is the one that
the elevator is mounted, we no longer have a fixed chord.  My AOA sensor
that I am planning to grow myself uses a handfull of air pressure sensors
feeding into a very small microprocessor.  I assume I would also need to
feed it an aileron deflection reading.

However, this poses a problem.  I am a big fan of neural networks.  I'm not
smart enough to figure out the non-linear equations (NASA said so) that
would return the AOA.  I could wash it through Excel, and come up with
something, but ... well, it's a lot of work, and I do some of this _at_
work, and its no fun.  So, run the data through the NN.  I was going to use
a traditional vane as my reference, but now, that's not even the true AOA.

I could run the plane through various speeds and loads at stall to gather
data, but I like feeding a NN with lots of data ... I'm talking thousands of
data points.

You made a remark that the canard does not stall at full elevator
deflection.  Okay, but wouldn't it always stall at the same deflection?  If
no, why not?