REFLECTOR: Velocity Factory damage

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 19:21:56 CDT 2004

We're Baaaack!
Power, telephone (all 7-lines), and Internet were restored this morning at
the Velocity factory!  Say "Hallelujah"!
This is a quick summary of where things are at this moment ...
> The factory sustained minor damage to a few metal panels - we sustained
wind and some rain inside the factory, but nothing serious.  We'll be
spending a few days cleaning up and expect to be 100% operational on Monday,
October 11.
> The Velocity Service Center took a hit.  Wayne Lanza's photo showed the
collapsed eastern half of the building.  The west half survived structural
damage to the point that we were able to remove the stored aircraft without
problem.  This building is a total loss ... thank goodness we sold it to the
City of Sebastian last year!  Several Velocity Service Center customers had
damage to their projects - but nothing too large to fix.  We have leased a
60 x 80 building on the airport, which shall serve as a temporary Velocity
Service Center.  This space is supplemented by 5-large T-hangers that we
have rented (also at Sebastian) - some of these will be equipped as fully
functioning Head Start shops.  Together, these hangars provide as much space
as the original Service Center.
> Both of the Quonset huts, which served as "overflow parking" lost their
canvas covers.  The larger of the two huts (the one that was situated next
to the Velocity Service Center) had damage to the framework.  We plan to
salvage enough parts to make a new hut about one-half the size of the
original.
> People - Some of our people are hurting badly following Hurricane Jeanne.
Two lost their homes.  We still have people who have yet to return from
evacuating out-of-state.  We are working with a half-crew this week.  We
expect to have everyone back by Monday, October 11.
>Will Velocity survive?  Oh, yeah!  These storms have been a major pain in
the rear - and they have caused a lot of personal anguish - however the
business is moving forward to restore normal operations within a few days.
Please, if you can wait until next week to call with requests, it will be
greatly appreciated!
Happy to be here!
SB