REFLECTOR: AOA

Rene Dugas dugasd at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 4 17:31:28 CDT 2004

I use mine to determine the remaining lift particularly in a steep turn.
The chevrons progressively unlight upward.  If I am in a tight turn
(base to final when ATC says the Delta jet can tell I have an MT prop),
I can glance down and see how much more lift is available before a
stall(buck) will occur.  On landing especially at night it is helpful to
glance at it as I lift the nose for touchdown to see how slowly I can
land (on a rheostat to dim because it is tooo bright without).  I rarely
look at it in cruise (except it is colorful).  Certainly not needed but
each person has a scan they like.  Mine includes the AOA during
performance maneuvers and landing.  One does not need an HSI but I like
it - same for GPS and Autopilot.

These are fun planes so I go for Max fun.  (Not helpful in aileron
rolls.)

Rene'