asymmetric fuel feed was Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel Shutoffs

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Mon Oct 4 09:11:13 CDT 2004

That was my impression too.  It's the intuitive answer.  It's not been
my experience.  I did all the stuff you mention FIRST, and then went
further.  After all roads led to dead ends, I did the math.  That's when
I discovered how small the numbers are.  Like the head pressure of 5" or
6" of fuel is measured in very small fractions of one psi - as a
practical matter, you can't measure it.  Any number of very small
factors (like an undetectable leak in a filler cap) could make a major
impact.  I had a list of stuff I did a mile long, to no avail.  I always
ended up with asymmetric transfer (not always from the same side) on a
regular basis.  I like simplicity, so I was loathe to go to all the fuss
and bother of installing [de]selector valves, but I'm glad I did.  I'm
still baffled by the whole thing.  I had a hideous problem.  I'm aware
of a number of (particularly Velocity) people who also do.  But there
are lots who don't.  No really satisfactory explanation has come to my
attention yet.

I've concluded it's largely pure dumb luck ... Jim S.