REFLECTOR: Gear Leg Woes

mike deeter iguanamagic at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 3 21:25:12 CDT 2004

Scott:

Thanks for the guidance in the latest two posts.  I'm
now out of town on business but itchin' to get back
and fix my gear.  I won't be able to til about 3 weeks
from now; by that time I'll also be able to talk to
the factory about any issues.

I'm encouraged that the cores seem true and that it
wasn't hard to get them to fit in your wheel wells.

However, you mention that the top of the gear where
the overcenter linkage attaches is 1/2" shorter.  If I
was to only replace the left gear leg, wouldn't that
create a mismatch?

Mike

--- Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Just so I don't misunderstand, please confirm that
> you
> >only ground away the portions of layers that
> appeared
> >to be coming loose; most of my gear leg seems
> >unaffected.  Also, that you replaced the ground
> away
> >glass w/ appropriate layers and overlap only on the
> >portions ground away?
>
> Grind or sand through the damaged layers.  Use water
> to wet it out, that
> makes it easier to see the cracks or broken strands
> of glass. I went one
> layer below the damage just to be sure.
>
> Yes grind or sand the damaged section only, fair it
> out so you get about a
> 1/4 to 1/2 inch of overlap per layer. That means if
> you go through all 12
> layers that would create a fairing 3 to 6 inches
> wide on each side of the
> crack.
>
> Scott
>
> "Those who sacrifice freedom to get security,
> deserve neither."
> - Benjamin Franklin

> Check old archives:

=====