REFLECTOR: Gear Leg Woes

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Oct 1 20:27:58 CDT 2004

MIke,

I'm sure every situation is somewhat different.  I had the same problem on
my std rg.  The leg was first damaged by the original owner in a bad
landing that ended up leaving the runway. It was repaired at the factory.

I had a very bad landing, long story, and had made repairs.

Per a talk with the factory, using a grinder I removed all the torsional
wraps effected down to the core. Blending the removal to allow a 1/2 inch
for each layer. Replaced the wraps. I flew with the repaired leg for about
30 hours and it came undone again.  Very scary landing that was actually a
greaser that turned into a major vibration as the gear was waggin back and
forth because it had become so loose.

I ended up buying new cores and making new legs... I think the damage from
two seperate incidents was just to much and the cores were effected.

Scott