REFLECTOR: Gear Leg Woes

mike deeter iguanamagic at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 19:42:48 CDT 2004

All:

After ~85 hours I noticed evidence of delamination of
layups on my left main gear leg (Std Elite RG).
Perhaps those 'crowd-pleasing' (read that 'damned
hard') landings I made early-on are back to haunt me.
I took the gear off and am scraping paint to
understand the full extent of the problem.

The factory is kinda busy right now and I can't get in
touch w/ them so maybe someone out there has had the
same problem and might know what strategy has worked
in the past.

Can the gear leg typically be fixed?  (I obviously
hope so!)

Should I remove (I assume 'grind away'!) any parts of
bad layups?  Any ideas on the best way to do that?
Should I start grinding away at the delaminated
portion and stop when I feel I'm into a solidly
adhered region?

I built each leg to plans with a total of 12 layers of
UNI/leg; I've heard of others going to 16 layers; is
that the consensus or factory guidance?

Thanks for any experiences out there.

Mike Deeter
N2011P Std Elite RG