REFLECTOR: Avionics Superflag

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Nov 30 09:58:51 CST 2004

Here is a response I got from rec.aviation.homebuilt:
Some of the old electro-mechanical HSIs and Flight Directors had separate
flag inputs for LOC and GS (for those that had separate LOC and GS
receivers; or at least separate flag outputs), and another "Superflag" input
that controlled both flags simultaneously. Some have just a GS and a
Superflag. In that case, the GS flag input controls just the GS flag and
the Superflag controls both LOC and GS; the Superflag being tied to the LOC.
The theory being that if you lose GS, you can function in LOC-only mode; but
if you lose LOC, GS is meaningless and should be flagged as well.

It's called a superflag because it flags both LOC and GS. You need that
400mA current capability to handle all those solenoids.

Gerry