REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim

MikeWatsonSpg at cs.com MikeWatsonSpg at cs.com
Mon Nov 29 14:02:35 CST 2004

Tom,
I have been flying my Standard Elite RG for seven years and have consistently

observed the following.

Pilot only: 160 Lbs. plus 75 Lbs. in Copilot foot area.
Take off trim: Elevator set at 3/4" below neutral (Pitch up)
Clime out:     Elevator set at 1/2" below neutral (Pitch up) 130 KIAS 800 FPM
Cruise:         Elevator usually 1/2" to 3/4" above neutral (Pitch down) 173
KIAS
Cruise Decent:     Full Pitch down
700 FPM Decent: Almost full pitch down.

Pilot 160 Lbs.  Copilot 170 Lbs.
Take off trim: Elevator set at 1" below neutral (Pitch up)
Clime out:    Elevator set at 3/4"  below neutral (Pitch up) 130 KIAS 800 FPM
Cruise:      Elevator usually 1/2" above neutral (Pitch down) 173 KIAS
Cruise Decent:   Elevator 3/4" above neutral (Pitch down)
700 FPM Decent: Almost full pitch down.

Keep in mind that after I run out of full up or down trim, I still have
another
1/2" travel on the stick, this comes in handy when landing or pumping the
stick
for a quick decent

On short final, I trim to full Pitch Up and control decent rate with power,
then just as the main wheel make contact, I hold off the nose by pulling back
that extra 1/2". works like a charm. (Most of the time).

Mike W.