REFLECTOR: PITCH TRIM TRAVEL

Jack Sheehan j.f.sheehan at larc.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 29 10:55:53 CST 2004

Tom,
I must have gotten real lucky with my airplane. I modified the spring
(cut down added carbon) it broke so I had very little
stiffness.landings were difficult because I could not trim to 90
knots I had to hold back pressure on final. Actually got pretty good
at it. I installed the factory standard spring it now works great. I
do not believe I use any down trim ever. Hard to tell because there
is not way to measure. I trim down(elevator down nose up) (two
fingers for two people) for take off this trim from neutral (
trailing edges aligned) is about a 2-3 second push on the trim
switch. This gives me about 100 Kts after take off on climb out I
trim down( nose down elevator up) a littleto get about 140 Kts for
climb. I would estimate based on the amount of trim taken out I still
have about one finger elevator down trim at this setting.
Accelerating level to cruise approximately 175-180 Kts indicated
airspeed I trim a little more nose down( elevator up) but again I
think this is simply taking out the nose up trim I put in for take
off. At cruise the elevator flys with about a half inch up at the
trailing edge My suspicion is that the trim system at this setting is
about neutral maybe just a little bit nose down but hardly an issue.
As I decend in cruise usually 200Kts IAS just a little nose down trim
is added. I enter the traffic pattern at about 160Kts on downwind and
decelerate once I slow which seems to occur by the time I am abeam
the numbers. 120 Kts gear down I trim for 90Kts. This trim takes a
positive ( 1-2 second) push on the trim switch to get the pressure
relieved for the 90 Kts. After I land the elevator is about the same
position as I would set for take off. I did not do anything different
from the manual. The actuator is set approximately center travel at
neutral elevator. I now have the sparrow strainer on but frankly I am
not sure it does a whole lot
Jack
N55XL