REFLECTOR: Odd fuel pressure Problem

Ronnie Brown romott at adelphia.net
Fri Nov 26 13:26:58 CST 2004

A similar problem is occurring with the Blue Mountains/Dynon's with a
vibration caused sampling frequency problem.  Attitude indicators are laying
over sideways at certain rpms.

Since Chuck and others are having a similar problem, I would suggest that a
snubber/orifice needs to be added to the fuel pressure sensor line.
Digital/computerized instrumentation samples the data instead of having a
continuous readout like an analog instrument.  If the pulses from the fuel
pump are in sync with the digital sampling frequency, then the read out at
certain times could  be sampling the low pressure part of the readings, and
hence the indicated low pressure (at certain rpms or other harmonics).

My fuel pressure sensor line has a 1/16" orifice - a fitting was filled with
silver solder then drilled out with a drill bit.  This should reduce the
pulses reaching the sensor and improve the accuracy of the fuel pressure
readout.  I have similar orifices on my oil pressure and MAP lines.

Incidentally, the fix on the Dynons was a change in the solid state gyro
sampling frequency to avoid the offending engine RPM harmonic.

Ronnie