REFLECTOR: Odd fuel pressure Problem

Jack Sheehan j.f.sheehan at larc.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 26 12:09:31 CST 2004

Scott,
Here is what I understand. The VM-1000 is a really good instrument.
there have been a lot of installation problems but the readings you
get from the instrument are correct usually. I have had the same
problem with a Lycoming IO-540. It seems that the lycoming fuel pumps
do actually fluctuate in pressure. The tolerance on the alarm of the
VM-1000 sometimes does not trip but sometimes it does. Visionmicro
does have a new software change that permits the delay of the alarm.
They also have a recommended fix for the fuel pressure. They
recommend the installation of a snubber in the pressure line just
before the transducer similar to the one that is in front of the
manifold pressure transducer. For some reason I can almost predict
the low fuel pressure alarm as I climb through 8500 feet.
Seems the digital instruments are telling us things we really didn't
want to know and would never see in an old analog gauge.
If you need more info I suggest you call Visionmicro systems. ask for
Dave he is a really helpful technical support guy.
We used to have to make a decision between JPI or Visionmicro for a
good digital system but now they are the same company or at least
there has been some sort of merger but VisionMicro is still the place
to call.
Why it took so long to happen on your airplane I do not know but I
can also go for weeks without any fluctuation alarms which also does
not make a lot of sense. I suppose temperature,pressure etc make a
difference.

Jack
N55XL