REFLECTOR: Canard Bulkhead and Gear Pockets

Jerry.Brainard at anthem.com Jerry.Brainard at anthem.com
Fri Nov 19 16:50:18 CST 2004

I have a fast build and these two items are not on the same elevation when
the fuse is level.  I believe what the manual is saying is that these two
items need to be leveled together side to side.  Think of the extreme where
the wing and canard would look like and X from the front if they are way
off.  So I would say you need to level the canard bulkhead, lock the fuse
to this position and then install the gear bulkhead to match this level.

I was told that the front to back is not critical and there are many
variations on this.  What really matter is the angel of attack for the wing
and canard and the side to side level of the wing and canard.

Of course other opinions may vary.
-jerry

                      "Tom & Mo Falls"
                      <thefalls at athenet        To:       "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders List" <reflector at tvbf.org>
                      .net>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  REFLECTOR: Canard Bulkhead and Gear Pockets
                      reflector-bounces
                      @tvbf.org

                      11/19/2004 05:16
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Velocity Aircraft
                      Owners and
                      Builders list

I bought a Standard RG from a previous builder (1995-1996) vintage and also
bought the new gear bulkhead and pre-made gear pockets (just received
them).  The following is a direct quote from the manual:

"Install the canard bulkhead at the 41" mark make sure it is plumb with the
firewall and that

it is level laterally with the gear pockets.

Note: It is very important to get the canard top and gear pocket top to

match up laterally. Your center spar and your canard rest on these and

this will make sure that they line up laterally."

I assume this means that the top of the canard bulkhead and the top of the
gear pockets need to be at the same elevation. The problem is mine don't
work out that way. I've double and triple checked fuselage level (I'm using
a water level) and bulkhead placement, but the top of the canard bulkhead
is about 2.5" higher than the top of the gear pockets (not even close to
level!). The canard bulkhead is the original with the kit and has a flange
all the way around. It is just shy of 16" high in the middle.

Anybody have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong or can check?