REFLECTOR: Gearbox alignment

Wayne wowens at darientel.net
Mon Nov 15 21:04:02 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Balic" <alex157 at direcway.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 6:49 PM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Gearbox alignment

 magnetic base/arm from Harbor freight
> tools rather reasonably to check for run out-

I have several dial indicators  but was thinking what kind of fixture would
I build to measure the distance from the center of the shaft out to the
holes on the bell housing.

 you might be able to re-face
> the bell housing to change angular run out, but to move the center, you
> would need to weld all of the holes closed and have new ones drilled-

A friend has a full size bridgeport  (not like my toy version) with DRO
whixch would accomodate the Marcotte casting but the engine would be a bit
much.   However thinking aloud I just ordered plans for a Soob belt
reduction drive  from Don Parham  and he says it contains exact dimensions.

Perhaps I could drill out the existing holes and put in  eccentric bushings.
I had to do that with my wings . The original spar matchup  really sucked

 - what would you guess the misalignment is anyway?

perhaps .020  not much but the wear on the pilot bushing  was probably that
much.

Thanks IT sure helps to bat this around with other people. The guys in my
new neighborhood  are all Van's metal peckers  and luddites when it comes to
engines.

Wayne