REFLECTOR: Gearbox alignment

Wayne wowens at darientel.net
Mon Nov 15 17:04:46 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Sower" <canarder at frontiernet.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Gearbox alignment

> <... How would you measure the axial and radial run-out  of the input
> shaft ...>
> I would try a dial indicator.

Im thinking about some kind of fixture to bolt to the crankshaft with a dial
indicator incorporated into it.

> <... in order to  relocate the mount and improve the alignment ...>
> I would explore the possibility that the gearbox is offset from the engine
> output shaft.  You have some sort of bell housing that mounts to the
> engine and to which the gearbox is mounted.  If the gearbox case is wrong,
> the input shaft of the gearbox will be offset from the output shaft of the
> engine.  That might cause the problem(s) you have.  I can't speculate
> further without more facts.

Exactly  I believe Marcotte's bell housing  has the input shaft hole hole
in the wrong location. The perimeter bolts and the locating pins fit well
onto the engine.

> How big is the hole the bushing is in?  Could it be replaced by a bearing
> race

It was a bearing before and that helped to mask the misalignmet.
... Jim S.