REFLECTOR: Front Vibration revisited

Rene Dugas dugasd at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 10 13:13:55 CST 2004

Thanks Andy, Scott and Herb,

I will be taking the plane down for annual next month for a more
thorough shake down(pun intended).  Propeller tips are within 1/16” and
prop balanced 6 weeks ago.  What kind of sensor are you proposing Andy?
I have hade three pilots feel around in the plane but not with the rear
bulkhead removed.  They could not localize it.  The rear compartment
cover has a window and the retracted gear  brackets are not moving.
Front gear is solid after retraction.  I have removed the cowl and
plenum examined the nose cone and interior areas.  I have removed the
wing bolt covers and find nothing loose.   I do not have any KNOWN tools
missing that have been left anywhere in the plane.  My next attempt will
be to forward weight the elevators a little since the elevator is the
only control surface that changes significantly as speed increases.  I
agree that control surfaces seem to not be involved but my gut tells me
it is the canard somehow vibrating.  It may even be some harmonic.
Tightening the elevator hinges before helped a little.   I do have a
front oil cooler that is snug.  Only my engine air scoop is hanging out
in the air.  It is tight.   My cowl and engine plenum touch but they
have since new over the #1 cylinder.   I do have foam caulk under my
canard and along the outer body to lower the cold air entering but
removing it did not decrease the vibration and changing it to another
type had no effect.  Nose door and “dog house” are tight.