REFLECTOR: NACA's vs Scoops

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Nov 9 16:14:37 CST 2004

I've heard the NACA vs. Scoop debate also.

I will need to get air to an intercooler for my TSIO520 installation.  I
had thought of piping off some of the cooling air from teh top NACA's but
am afraid of not having enough head pressure, or starving the cylinders of
needed cooling air.

I thought of using one of the exisiting armpit scoops that will not be
needed for engine cooling, for the intercooler, but then what do I do with
the other scoop?  It be kinduv lopsided to have one armpit scoop.  Maybe a
very low profile scoop in the middle of the lower cowling?

I also think I will need to increase the capcity of my oil cooler.  My
current thought is to add another cooler inside the cabin below the rear
seat, have a powered fan to drive cabin air through it and have a flapper
valve that directs the exhaust into the cabin heating system or overboard.

Scott