REFLECTOR: STRONG PITCH TRIM SYSTEM

Dave Nelson davenali at charter.net
Mon Nov 8 20:15:40 CST 2004

Scott, I'm a long way from being a builder.  I actually had several hundred hours of flying time on the factory design in my aircraft before I did the panel upgrade.  I found the original system to be adequate, but hardly a "finer design feature".  It was only after my panel upgrade (and several hundred more hours of flying) - and - numerous attempts to make the "stock" design work, that I started working with Alex on a better solution.

I agree that many builders tend to over-over-OVER engineer and debate things on this forum.  That's one of the reasons that I'm a lurker rather than a regular contributor.  Quite frankly, endless debates about stuff that works just fine as designed by Dan or by the Swings bore the heck out of me.  However, the stock pitch trim system was not working adequately for me after my panel upgrades, and so I'm mearly reporting on my solution.  My motive for installing a different pitch trim system is simple - the per plans setup was not satisfactory for my particular aircraft.

One last comment; there's a big difference between building and experimenting.  I always tell people that talk about modifications to think about how much of a test pilot do you really want to be?  Food for thought... the per-plans kit built airplane is a pretty well proven design.  However, for me, this isn't my first airplane project, and I've got over 600 hours on it... so I hope you'll allow me to do a little experimenting that maybe I wouldn't have chosen to do with less experience.

BTW, I've got a sign on my office wall - it says:

If it ain't broke, BREAK IT:
Take FAST and make it FASTER
Take GOOD and make it BETTER

Dave