REFLECTOR: Speed brake usage question

Kufalk kufalk at wi.rr.com
Sun Nov 7 10:12:04 CST 2004

I have never flown an airplane with a speed brake.  Is there ever a situation where you would want to extend the speed brake only partially down?

I am looking at switches to actuate the speed brake and I am thinking about one that has a spring return to center for the down position.  Then I could run it just like the flap switch on a Cessna 150.  If I want 30 degrees of brake, I would hold the switch for 3 seconds.  (The actuator moves the brake panel about 10 degrees per second to a maximum of 60 degrees)  In the up position it would stay there and retract all the way on it's own.  I would install the switch just above the throttle so I could reach it with my left index finger when my hand is on the throttle.