REFLECTOR: STRONG PITCH TRIM SYSTEM

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Fri Nov 5 04:07:21 CST 2004

I find it interesting to read about builder rejection towards the fiberglass spring/linear actuator pitch trim mechanism.  True, it looks highly unconventional (so does the aircraft!) - but I have found that it works quite well.  In fact, I think it is one of the finer design features of the aircraft.  The spring is designed to provide more strength when it is needed - during landing, and less strength when trimming the aircraft at cruising speeds.  The system functions rather well.  I enjoy the fact that the aircraft is 'rock steady' in pitch.  All in all, I can't think of a reason not to like the existing pitch trim system.
If I read correctly, the motive for installing the first "Strong Pitch Trim System" was to gain additional clearance behind the instrument panel, not because the original fiberglass set up did not work well.
I'm all for trying new things - and the Strong system looks interesting.  But I'm also a follower of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" fan club.
Scott B.