REFLECTOR: STRONG PITCH TRIM

Dave Nelson davenali at charter.net
Wed Nov 3 19:06:11 CST 2004

Re: REFLECTOR: STRONG PITCH TRIMWow!  That's alot of questions!  I'll try to answer.

Was the only reason for creating the modified version for the Velocity, the interference with the speed brake actuator?  Answer:  After looking at the Cozy style system, I couldn't come up with a way to either mount it as Cozys do (on the fuselage side and attached directly to the elevator tourque tube), or to mount it in the center section counsole because it was just too long.  Even without the speed brake actuator it would have been a challenge to get it to fit in the center section counsole.  So, Alex and I started talking and he came up with the modification.

Is there interference with the airleron (roll) because of the 4 inch forward portion of the trim system touching the inside of the keel?  Answer:  I was mightily concerned about that, and I spent many hours futzing with the geometry to get it to work.  In the end I was able to get full airleron deflection, at both full forward and full aft elevator deflection - but it's tight.  At the maximum airleron deflection, the forward point of the spring assembly is just about touching the sides of the center section counsole.  I'll make a point here - you really, REALLY don't want to wind up with less than the factory minimums on airleron deflection - trust me (voice of experience here), you'll at some point be making a crosswind landing and really need all the roll authority you can get.

If  you do not have a sped brake would the cozy system work better or are there some other aspects of the system that were changed for Velocity?  Answer: without a speed brake actuator, you *may* be able to get it to fit.  However, you really do need a speed brake (IMHO).  Voice of experience again - there will come a time when you want to land on a short runway with a heavily loaded airplane - and having the extra drag really does make a difference. Beyond the location of the mounting point, as far as I know there are no other differences - you may want to ask Alex Strong, though.

Does the cozy system have the same bracket for installation in the keel and is the rod end attachment usable for the velocity for connecting to the bottom of the control stick?  Answer:  If you mean the standard Strong system for the Cozy, then yes, my plan would have been to attach the rod end to the bottom of the stick.  However, as I mentioned above, I'm not sure the geometry works - make sure you've got enough room before you commit to this solution.  AFA the bracket, I guess I'm not sure - but I think it's the same.  That's a good question for Alex.

Does the strong system provide finer adjustments for trim than the factory system. On the factory system the smallest adjustment is always just a little too much adjustment. there is a circuit that you can install to reduce the motor over-run but I have not done that.  Answer: Yes, I believe that this system provides me finer controllability than the factory system.  I've not experienced any problems with over or under run, and as I've said, I've now shot dozens of ILS approaches with it.  It really works great for me.

Hope this helps.

Dave