REFLECTOR:Franklin oil cap

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 27 May 2004 22:16:59 -0500

Thanks Brian and Scott.  I'm home now.  I found an oil cap at Auto Zone that actually
fits more snugly and secure than the Franklin cap, so I will probably stick with it
assuming it looks OK when I check it tomorrow in the light.  I guess now I have to
tell the whole story.  It was supposed to be a fun business trip to New Orleans
Lakefront (NEW).  Less than 5 minutes after takeoff this morning I heard a funny noise
followed by a little vibration.  I landed and one of the stainless tapes had come off
the prop, so I took the other 2 off.  That's the second one that's come off, so I
guess I'm either going to glue it on, or try the plastic LE protectors.
This afternoon when preparing to depart NEW I decided to add oil.  My policy is not to
leave the prop area until the oil cap and access cover are back on.  However it was
breezy and I had several items in my hand that could easily get loose and blow down
the runway, so I decided to take care of them and left a screw driver and the oil cap
on the wing.  I got distracted with something else and forgot about the oil cap.  I
began taxiing and was lucky that the oil cap hit the prop as it made a noticeable thud
and I saw the cap bouncing off to the side.  Otherwise I might have found out over the
middle of lake Ponchatrain when the oil was gone.
In the future the cap and cover go back on before I walk away no matter how much I
have in my hand.

John