REFLECTOR:First flight N14B - Low fuel light

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 24 May 2004 10:04:57 -0500

--------------53776827E773CFD4A3776773

Congratualtions on first flight!  I'm not sure why, but putting fuel
resistant grease on the fuel cap o-rings (reducing/eliminating air
leaking into the fuel tank) stopped my low fuel light "problem".  At
7500-11500 ft the low fuel light was on almost continuously and the fuel
in the tanks was uneven by 10-12 gallons.  Below 6000 ft the fuel was
even and the light came on only intermittently.
On a related issue, I notice some paint on the inside of my fuel opening
(where the o-ring makes contact) is coming off.  Maybe paint there is
not a good idea as it will end up in the fuel.

John

PUSHERPILOT@wmconnect.com wrote:

> My Standard RG Velocity made its first flight yesterday with test
> pilot Steve Murphree at the controls.  The flight was great and Steve
> reports that the airplane flies hands off.  My "experimental"
> downdraft cooling system with the NACA ducts in the top cowl worked
> well.  It was a cool day in Tucson with a high of only 90 and the
> temperatures were in the normal range for a new engine.  It only took
> me eleven years to complete.
>
> The low fuel light in the sump tank was flashing once in a while.
> This was discussed on the reflector before but I can't recall what the
> cause was.
>
> Mel Bina

--------------53776827E773CFD4A3776773

Congratualtions on first flight!&nbsp; I'm not sure why, but putting fuel
resistant grease on the fuel cap o-rings (reducing/eliminating air leaking
into the fuel tank) stopped my low fuel light "problem".&nbsp; At 7500-11500
ft the low fuel light was on almost continuously and the fuel in the tanks
was uneven by 10-12 gallons.&nbsp; Below 6000 ft the fuel was even and
the light came on only intermittently.
(where the o-ring makes contact) is coming off.&nbsp; Maybe paint there
is not a good idea as it will end up in the fuel.
RG Velocity made its first flight yesterday with test pilot Steve Murphree
at the controls.&nbsp; The flight was great and Steve reports that the
airplane flies hands off.&nbsp; My "experimental" downdraft cooling system
with the NACA ducts in the top cowl worked well.&nbsp; It was a cool day
in Tucson with a high of only 90 and the temperatures were in the normal
range for a new engine.&nbsp; It only took me eleven years to complete.</font></font>
sump tank was flashing once in a while.&nbsp; This was discussed on the
reflector before but I can't recall what the cause was.</font></font>

--------------53776827E773CFD4A3776773--